I am a scientist who loves to cook because there are many similarities between working in a lab and cooking in a kitchen. I love to share my cooking experience with you and to inspire others to cook.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Grill Steak

I had a bbq a few weeks ago when the weather was still nice. This is our menu

1) Grill steak

I used Trip Tip beef cut for this steak. This cut is found at the bottom of sirloin and it is what I called "poor man's sirloin"  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-tip

I marinated the beef with Worcestershire sauce, thyme, oregano, and basil. 
 

2) Scallops

Frozen scallops that I found at Trader Joe's frozen food section

3) Asparagus

Plain old asparagus. I sliced the skin off the asparagus with a peeler. You can keep it on.

4) Shittake mushroom

Fresh mushroom. Hmmmm....yummy

I love this picture. All credits go to SL for composing and snapping this

It is cooking time!!!

Make sure the charcoals are pipping hot
Time is everything. The meat, the scallop and the asparagus all cook at different time. If you want to serve the all at the same time, then you must stagger the time when you load them onto the grill.

Enjoy  wine while waiting for the meat to cook

In general, it takes 7-9 minutes per side of steak (15-18 minutes total); 2 minutes per side of scallop (4 minutes total), and about 8-10 minutes for the asparagus.
I like the mysterious feel of this picture. Very dark.
Remember to rest the meat for 5 minutes after cooking.




I use the "poking technique" to determine the doneness







Let the wine flow and the meat be eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment