I am a scientist who loves to cook because there are many similarities between working in a lab and cooking in a kitchen. I love to share my cooking experience with you and to inspire others to cook.

Sunday, October 14, 2018

Creame caramel








When you tried once and it is a success, what's more to tweak?

The recipe that I used was this.

There wasn't any real trick in making this if you follow the recipe closely. I cooked the caramel under low heat and it took a while for it to turn to this maple colour. I am not sure if I can cook it at higher heat but I am okay with taking more time to let the colour develop.



One thing to note, when the caramel colour began to develop, it comes fast so you need to pay really close attention at the first sign of change in colour.

The next trick is to determine the doneness. Again, I have to rely on these words "until the custard has set". I am not sure what that means so I relied on my instinct. The custard was, how should I say, slightly jiggly when I took it out after checking it a few times and setting the timer for another 2 minutes, another 2 minutes, a another 2 minutes.



You would never know how it would turn out until you flip it over. The custard was smooth and the center was still custardy.

Now the real trick is to replicate this.

No comments:

Post a Comment