I am a scientist who loves to cook because there are many similarities between working in a lab and cooking in a kitchen. I love to share my cooking experience with you and to inspire others to cook.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Baked Brie with sundried tomato and pesto sauce


 

I have to first confess that I did not make this dish. However, it was made in my presence by SY and I have the permission to share the recipe with you.

This is one of those dishes that involves mainly "assembling" and very little prepping and cooking in advance.

Ingredients
1. One wheel of brie cheese
2. A few pieces of sun-dried tomatoe
3. A can of store-bought pesto sauce (you can make your own pesto sauce if you feel like making it)
4. Store bought Puff Pastry

Directions
1. Thaw the puff pastry according to manufacturer's instructions.
2. Once thawed, roll the puff pastry into a thinner layer of dough. Don't over do this.
3. Cut the brie into half and assemble it like you a hamburger. The brie is the "bun", the sun-dried tomato is the "meat", and the pesto sauce is the "ketchup".
4. Wrap this assembled brie with the puff pastry, like you are wrapping a package.

Addendum: Thanks to SY for pointing this out
"Tip! Freeze the wrapped brie for a little while before popping it into the over so that the brie won't get too soft while the pastry puffs up!"

5. Baked in a 400F oven until the puff pastry turns brown.

Thanks SY for sharing this recipe. It sure is something that can wow the crowd if you are attending a party. With little effort, this baked brie taste fantastic. There are so many variations that I can think of from my head.

Instead of sun-dried tomato, maybe portabello mushroom or any mushroom. I think shredded chicken/ground beef will work too (of course these needs to be cooked ahead).

Instead of pesto, you can use tomato paste. I have a crazy idea, how about a dollop of butter?

Be adventurous, be brave!!

1 comment:

  1. Tip!
    Freeze the wrapped brie for a little while before popping it into the over so that the brie won't get too soft while the pastry puffs up!

    Glad you enjoyed it.

    I will make this similar dish caramelized onions too just for fun, im sure it will taste SUPERB!

    ReplyDelete