I am a scientist who loves to cook because there are many similarities between working in a lab and cooking in a kitchen. I love to share my cooking experience with you and to inspire others to cook.

Friday, July 27, 2012

Sweet potato

How often do you look at a potato at the grocery store and think to yourself - "this is an interesting potato?". In the world of potato, there is sweet potatoes that intrigues me with its flavor as much as its color. The most common kind of sweet potato that people are familiar with is the "orange-flesh" sweet potato. Now, what if I tell you, this exist:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


This is a purple sweet potato. You can't tell from the color of the skin, which is almost white color.


Side by side picture of a purple sweet potato and an orange sweet potato. The raw scent of these two kinds of potatoes are completely different. Each has different and unique notes.



This is how I used to eat sweet potato when I was growing up. Cooked in water with small amount of sugar added. It is not a side dish, but a dessert!


The natural purple color from cooking purple sweet potato is mesmerizing. It is like looking into crystal clear ocean and seeing all the life beneath it.


I copied this image from another blog and here is the reference http://mainmainmasakmasak.wordpress.com/2007/12/30/japanese-sweet-potato-balls/

1 comment: