I am a scientist who loves to cook because there are many similarities between working in a lab and cooking in a kitchen. I love to share my cooking experience with you and to inspire others to cook.

Friday, October 7, 2011

Watermelon Soju

Soju is a distilled rice liquor native to Korea. Although I am not from Korea, I venture to guess that Soju is to Korea as Tequila is to Mexico and Vodka is to Russia. 

This drink that I am about to tell you is a cocktail made with Soju and, you guessed it, watermelon.

I had this drink for the first time in Korean town and they charge you $30 for each order of watermelon soju that serves about 6 generous portions.

Remind me, what goes into watermelon soju?  Watermelon + soju. $30?? Hmmm....

Let's figure out how to make this drink ourselves.

Ingredients:
a) a water melon
b) a bottle of cheap soju. You don't want to waste a bottle of good liquor by making cocktails, do you?
c) 2-3 lemons - juiced
d) a few tablespoons of sugar - dissolved in a pot or microwave
e) heaps of ice cubes

Instructions
1) Slice the water melon into equal halves.
2) scoop the flesh into a bowl. SAVE THE SHELL
3) Blend the watermelon in a blender.
4) Add ice cubes to the blender and blend again (we used the pulverize function)
5) Pour the watermelon juice into the watermelon "shell"
6) Pour soju into the watermelon juice (how much? totally up to you but you want to be able to taste and smell soju as you drink)
7) Add lemon juice and dissolved sugar.




Did I hear "just a splash"? No....


No comments:

Post a Comment