Tofu is like a blank canvass. Literally BLANK. It is colorless and almost tasteless. Most people either "Like" or "don't like" tofu, and many people dislike it because of the soft texture. Tofu is rich in protein, calcium, and it can be tasty with little manipulation, such as this dish:
Pan Fried Tofu with Spicy Scallion Garlic Sauce.
Ingredients: (serves 4)1 pack for medium/firm tofu (not soft tofu)
1 stalk of chopped scallion
1 clove of chopped garlic
hot pepper flakes/chilli powder
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoon of cooking oil
1. Prepping the Tofu
Remove the tofu from the package and place it on a flat plate. Then put something heavy, like a pot filled with some water, on top of the tofu to apply pressure. The purpose of doing this is to squeeze most of the water out of the tofu. Remove the liquid that comes out from the tofu every 5 minutes until very few liquid is left.
2. Slice the tofu into bit size square pieces and pat the tofu dry.
3. Heat a non-stick pan with about 2 tablespoon of oil. Once the oil is hot, add the tofu and lower the heat to medium.
4. After 5-7 minutes, check the bottom of the tofu to make sure it looks golden brown. I tend to cook this a little longer so that the tofu will come out a little crunchy.
5. Turn the tofu around and cook for another 5-7 minutes.
6. Transfer the tofu on to a serving plate
7. Making the sauceThis is a technique that I like to use for making garlic/scallion sauce
a) Place the chopped scallion, chopped garlic, red pepper flakes/chilli powder in a small bowl
b) Heat some oil in a pot at low heat. Be careful as oil heats up fast
c) Once the oil starts to smoke a little, turn off the heat and pour the oil over the chopped scallion. Again, be careful when you do this. The ingredients will sizzle and it is quite harmless if you know what you are doing.
d) add the rest of the sauce ingredients and mix well
8. Spoon the sauce over the fried tofu and enjoy!